eCommerce is becoming more popular amongst consumers for all kinds of products, but as a result, it’s also becoming more competitive. How can you beat the swathes of competition creating similar products? One way you can get the edge over your rivals is to rethink and reinvent your packaging to boost sales while protecting the environment.
Why Is Packaging Important for eCommerce Businesses?
Since packaging is often one of the last things that businesses consider when creating their new products, it can receive the least attention. But, as more customers become more conscious of their environmental impact, using the right eco-friendly packaging has become a lot more important.
You don’t want to lose the approval of a large portion of your customer base if your packaging is made from environmentally harmful materials or isn’t recyclable. Instead, endear your customers to your brand by presenting them with an opportunity to protect the planet with sustainable packaging.
Eco-Friendly Packaging Tips for Your eCommerce Business
There are some simple rules you can follow to make sure your brand’s packaging is eco-friendly and gives your customers a positive experience they’ll remember for all the right reasons.
- Don’t use more packaging than you need to: It sounds obvious, but you’d be surprised at the amount of waste created as a direct result of using too much packaging. Use enough packaging to protect your products but don’t go overboard –– consumers will take notice if your packaging is totally over-the-top. Avoid this initial stumbling block and enjoy positive customer interactions with your brand.
- Use your packaging as a marketing opportunity: Since you’ve gone to the effort to source eco-friendly packaging solutions, shout about it! Your customers will love that their purchase is protecting the environment. You can also use your branding as a force for good, reminding your customers to recycle, reuse or repurpose the packaging that helped deliver their new purchase.
- Use eco-friendly custom packaging: Do you want to connect with your customers? Your brand’s packaging is the first thing your customers will come into physical contact with –– a perfect opportunity to make a good impression. Create an unforgettable experience for your customers with branded packaging sleeves or customised shipping boxes that give your products a personal touch. Add your brand’s social media addresses or a wholesome hashtag that’ll encourage customers to share their experiences online.
- Use the right materials: People generally prefer cardboard and paper over plastic. It feels nicer, it’s a lot more eco-friendly, and it’s easy to recycle or reuse, plus, it’s not always clear which plastics are recyclable or even safe for repeated use. Remove the unnecessary confusion and stick to simple yet versatile eco-friendly packaging materials. They won’t let you down and your customers –– and the planet –– will thank you.
- Don’t skimp on security: There’s nothing worse than receiving a damaged or half-opened parcel. Your customer’s heart sinks as they realise they’re probably going to have to undergo a lengthy complaints and returns process to resolve such an avoidable issue. For extra protection –– especially for high-value or fragile items –– use double-wall cardboard boxes and eco-friendly void-fill to protect your goods. Take the necessary steps to ensure your products get to your customers in one piece and save yourself a lot of unnecessary hassle, not to mention, the potential damage to your brand’s reputation.
So, Can Eco-Friendly Packaging Benefit Your Business?
Using eco-friendly packaging for your products can boost your brand’s reputation and save you money without compromising on functionality or style. By following these simple steps, you can do your bit to protect the environment while increasing sales, avoiding customer disappointment and getting your products the recognition they deserve.