The economic recovery in the UK is beginning to gather momentum, with the result that the employment market is gradually rediscovering its competitiveness. This will make it harder for your firm to retain and recruit the leading talent within your industry, however, unless you have a productive workplace and a team of motivated employees.
With this in mind, let’s look at how you can create a happy and productive office in 2014: -
- Embrace Flexible Working:
- Unless you have a budget that enables you to turn your workplace into a combined gymnasium and entertainment centre, you will need to accept that employees are increasingly keen to work from home. You therefore need to be flexible in your approach to working directives, and afford your staff options in terms of their core hours and location.
- Think Outside of Bottom Line Salary:
- When remunerating staff, it is always tempting to offer slightly inflated salaries according to performance and status. This is a flawed outlook, however, as modern-day employees are motivated by alternative factors such as benefits packages, job security and the opportunity for advancement. You will need to recognise this if you are to maintain a happy workplace.
- Reward through Experience Rather than Finance:
- On a similar note, you should think carefully and creatively when it comes to administering bonuses. Rather than simply offering a menial cash sum, consider using the available revenue to book an inclusive experience that can bond your team together. While there is nothing wrong with the occasional cash bonus, it is through shared experiences that colleagues will bond and improve as a functional team.
- Secure a Central and Easily Accessible Location:
- If you are looking to relocate your offices, it is also important to secure a central and easily accessible location. This will empower your staff to strike a more productive work-life balance, as they are not forced to undertake a long commute every single day. Visit London Offices to appraise locations in the capital that suit your existing budget.
- Carefully Organise the Layout of your Office:
- While this may seem like a secondary consideration, the layout of your office space has a critical impact on those who reside within. By developing a functional and open-plan space, for example, it is possible to encourage greater levels of collaboration between staff members and boost their morale.