5 Things you should you know about this Jamaican-Canadian investor.
1). He is the founder and Chairman of Portland Holdings Inc., a privately held investment company, he is currently Executive Chairman of AIC Limited (a Canadian mutual fund), and the National Commercial Bank of Jamaica.
2). In the latest Forbes Billionaires List, he was placed at number 701, with assets worth around $1.0 billion, Canadian Business has named him as one of the richest people in Canada.
3). Portland purchased 75 per cent of the National Commercial Bank of Jamaica for 6 billion Jamaican dollars (US$127 million) from the Jamaican Government, other companies he owns/manages includes:
* AIC Limited - http://www.aic.com/
* Columbus Communications -
* Cable Bahamas - http://www.cablebahamas.com/
* Caribbean Crossings - http://www.caribbeancrossings.com
* Columbus Communications Jamaica Ltd. / Flow Jamaica - http://www.flowjamaica.com/
* FibraLink - http://www.fibralink.com/
* CVM Television Group - http://www.cvmtv.com/
* Merit Communications - http://www.meritcom.net/
* New World Network - http://www.nwncable.com/
* Americas Region Caribbean Optical-ring System (ARCOS)
* Sauce Cable Company
* Affordable Enterprise Ltd.
* Cabana Cable Ltd.
* Dynamic Corp, a company in the making Eastern Cable Network Ltd.
* Home Commercial Satellite Ltd.
* Universal Cable Network Ltd.
* Columbus Communications Trinidad Ltd/Flow Trinidad - http://www.flowtrinidad.com/
* Columbus Communications Grenada Ltd/Flow Grenada - http://www.flowgrenada.com/
* Eastern Caribbean Gas Pipeline Company (ECGPC)
* National Commercial Bank of Jamaica (NCB) - http://www.jncb.com/
* Radio Jamaica - http://www.radiojamaica.com/
* Reggae Beach (resort), Jamaica
* Senvia - http://www.senvia.com/
* Total Finance Bank of Trinidad & Tobago Ltd.
* Trident Hotel (Resort) - http://www.tridentjamaica.com/
4). In 2002, Lee-Chin received the 'Harry Jerome Award' for 'Business Leader of the Decade, Time Magazine named Lee-Chin one of 'Canada's Heroes' in July 5, 2004.
5). He is also a generous philanthropist, Donation includes: C$5 million to McMaster University (which he attended)which awarded him an Honorary Degree in November 2003.
JMD$155 million (approx. USD $2.4 million) to Northern Caribbean University.
C$30 million to the Royal Ontario Museum which commissioned a new building named the Michael Lee Chin Crystal